Thursday, January 19, 2012

How Can Writing Help Me Be The Change I Want To See In The World?

I've always been a worldly child. Even in my younger years I would notice plights that people in other parts of the World were suffering from. Other kids at my age cared little for worldly problems. Which led to me being somewhat of an outcast in social circles. Whenever we would have writing assignments, I would always write about wars, social disputes, and other issues(as much as an elementary school kid could know about such things). Some teachers would often tell me my work was years ahead of schedule. Others would demeen my writing, telling me it was to dark for a child. But I always had a point to get across with my papers, I've always wanted to change the world. Now that I'm in college, I'm hoping I can learn how to better get points across. I know that if I do become a lawyer like I want, I'm going to have to write lots of legal documents and such. And I will have to do a good job at getting points across. There's always been a love-hate relationship between me and writing. I always hated doing it in High School, mostly because of draconian topics assigned by teachers and there strict adherence to some format called MLA that I never fully grasped in my 4 years there. But on the off chance we got to choose our topics I ran with it. Mostly doing what I did in elementary school and writing on social issues and trying to express the way I want things to be. I loved writing when I could use it as an outlet in that way. Even though my teachers didn't always appreciate my opinions. I hope that I can become more fond of writing in college so that I can maybe change the world through writing.

5 comments:

  1. A great personal story. Interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree on the hating aspect in high school. Wars were a big part of our society growing up. I can see why your peers thought you were "dark". I believe that now that your in college, will get your points across like your wanting to. Especially that you want to be a lawyer. I really enjoyed reading this keep the good work up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good you know what you love to write about, especially when choosing your own topics. Your right, about being constricted to a certain subject in high school. Its always hard to write when you aren't interested in what you are writing about. I think the subject matter you choose shows how mature of a writer you are, and how your papers would be different from someone else's. Not to say your subject matter is dark, but its reality. Ya know what I mean jelly bean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are well on your way Austin. The first thing you must do when trying to make a difference is to take small steps towards accomplishing that goal. You made those steps years ago. You are not an outcast, peaple reject differences and you are definitely that. It takes a person that does not mind being different to make a difference. Writing is definitely an outlet that is more viral than any other means of educating. You can reach so many through it. Continue to move forward,follow your dreams and most importantly live in your passion.

    ReplyDelete